Thursday, March 14, 2013

"How Can You Give a Child Back?"


This is my first blog post in a very, very long time (over a year.) I'm so excited to start blogging again! I thought it would be a good way to update people in Washington of what the Benson's are doing.

So much has been going on... where to start? Well, God is SO good! He has blessed us so much here in Arizona. I'm not gonna lie, the first 6 months of living here were B.R.U.T.U.A.L. We missed everyone in Washington so much, and the 115 degree heat didn't help. We have adjusted and are truly blessed to have such awesome, new friendships. Our girls love it here. We love our awesome house (we rent) and are so blessed to live here. We have filled it with many friends and family. We have been blessed to have so many visitors from out of state!

I have been going back and forth about posting about how we are becoming licensed foster/adoptive parents. We have gotten so many questions and comments. Doug and I feel we should share the passion God has laid on our hearts.

First I have to say, Doug and I don't feel in anyway qualified to do this. I'm not this "super" mom who has her house spotless and her children so well behaved. But we do believe God is equipping us each more everyday and it is because of HIM we are able to do this. It will be hard, we know this. We desire more children and God has been very clear to us we should adopt. 

The most common question I have gotten is, "How can you give a child back?" 
Well, we are totally heartless people so it will be easy. 

I'm joking.

People who know me, know I am quite the opposite, I wear my heart on my sleeve and I love a little too easy. So my answer to you is, foster/adoption is a calling. I can't give a child back that I have fallen in love with, but God through us can. I have learned in our PA-MAPP certification class that reunification with the birth family is a beautiful thing and a beautiful thing to be apart of. We will cry, we will grieve, but ultimately we will know it was God's will for that child. Our goal is to adopt another child. God adopted us into his family so we will adopt God's child in our family.

Another question we get is, "Have you really thought about this?" 
Nope, we like to be irresponsible and not think things through. We haven't researched, read, or talked to anyone who has done it.

Again.. I'm joking

Yes, we have thought this through! We have researched, read mountains of articles, and talked to MANY people who have adopted through the foster care system. Does that mean we are experts? No! We will learn so much more when we care for this child. 

And I know we will think this is way harder than we thought.

We have been praying hard for the past 8 months. God has spoken through His people to us. I have woken up in the middle of the night praying for the baby that will be placed in our home and for strength and endurance, for God's ultimate will for this child. 

I dream and I think about the baby God will decide we can adopt. What he or she will look like? What personality they will have? 

I have days when I get scared and think I am so unqualified, but then God calms my heart every time. Please pray with us through this journey. We are honored to be called to do this, but we need so much prayer. It looks like June 1st is when we will have our license and from what I hear, you get a call for a child within hours. 

One last thing to think of... what did these children ever do to deserve to sit in a shelter? I heard recently, 47 babies are sitting in shelters right now because there aren't enough foster home. 

Fourty-seven babies. 

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47

God doesn't call the qualified. He qualifies the called.

JB




2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty ashamed to admit it but I was once one of the haters and as I have said 100x's - I am sooo sorry!! Its a hard path but a blessed one as well! This is a calling and exactly a way God asks us to love as He loves. I am so proud you and will continue to be praying for you. I love that I've gotten a front row seat to see how God has made your guys steps align to His path. I admire your obedient heart and desire to be His hands and Feet. Love you and love that you are sharing your journey. - Cami

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. God is so good! Thank you for posting this. Thank you for leading the way by sharing how you're walking in the grace of God! I'm smiling as I think about that little baby in your arms and how God is going to love through you. Way to walk in his courage and sufficiency. I look forward to hearing more! Sending some prayers your way :)

    Whitney Coleman

    ReplyDelete