Thursday, November 18, 2010

What To Expect When You Feel The Pressure To Be Super Mom

Becoming a mom was one of the most life changing experiences of my life. It has changed me deeply, for the better. Don’t get me wrong, the beginning was very hard and a lot like boot camp, but it was worth every moment.
There are so many books out there to prepare you for motherhood. A well know one is “What To Expect When You Are Expecting.” It’s a great book, but it didn’t prepare me for the pressure I have felt as a mom. Here are some topics I hear debates about with other moms:
  • Breastfeeding or Bottle Feeding
  • Organic or Non-Organic
  • Immunize or Non-Immunizing
  • Natural Birth or Medicated Birth
  • Child Directive Parenting or Parent Directive Parenting
  • Clothe Diapers or Disposable Diapers
  • Antibiotics or No Antibiotics
  • Pediatrician or Natural Path
  • Organic Clothing or Regular Clothing
  • TV or No TV
  • Co-Sleeping or Crib Sleeping
  • Crying It Out Method or Not Crying It Out
  • Discipline Strictly or Disciplining In Between

Just a few topics, right? Haha! I’m a brand new mom and I don’t have a clue what I am doing most of the time, but all these topics have challenged me to be MY girl's mother. Does that make sense? 
There is nothing wrong with being passionate about an issue (I'm passionate about many issues), but when some pass judgement, that is where I have felt pressure to be "super mama." And I am not "super mama"... I'm very far from it. 

Let God guide us and let us encourage one another. So... mommy's out there, let’s support each other. 

4 comments:

  1. Amen girl! We are all just figuring this out for ourselves and we are each going to parent our kids differently. We are all different so why would we all parent the same way? The most important thing we as mommies can do is LOVE our kids with everything that we can, all the rest will fall into place when we are choosing LOVE, and whatever form of parenting that manifests itself in. We as mommies need to SUPPORT and encourage each other in whatever style of mothering we feel called to. Even if our "passions" differ. As long as our main passion is Jesus and wanting to follow Him first and foremost as we look for strength and wisdom to mother these wonderful babies we are blessed with, everything else will work itself out. I love you and I think you are an AMAZING Mom. Your girls are blessed to have you for a mom, not because you do everything 'right' (no one does, what is the 'right' way anyway??) its because you fiercely love your daughters and love your Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, Jess. You're really doing great if you have this wisdom so early in motherhood. You are such an encouragement through your blog. I miss you! Love you!
    Sarah Thieme

    ReplyDelete
  3. I echo what Melissa said! Great post Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys. Melissa, very well said. :) Love you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete